Charleston Visit 2006

Charleston, South Carolina, whispers a few of her secrets to me during this four-day visit in April 2006.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Sweetgrass Baskets

Weaving sweetgrass baskets is a local craft for which the South Carolina Lowcountry is famous. The baskets are beautiful, come in an amazing variety of styles and are nearly impossible to resist.

The skills originated in West Africa and were handed down through the generations. We saw many women weaving and selling them but only one man. Basketweavers sigh that it is a dying art, as youngsters have no interest in or patience for learning the craft.

My cats are far too interested in my wicker chairs, and not in a good way, so I satisfied my sweetgrass basket craving with an exquisite, souvenir-sized basket which I put up on a high shelf, far away from admiring claws!


Here I am with Annie, who created my basket. Annie lives in Mt. Pleasant, a charming town just across the river, and has been making sweetgrass baskets since she was eight years old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home